Ocean Springs Divorce Law
No one gets married hoping to need a family law attorney down the road—but for close to half of all marriages, that’s how it works out. Whether you are just weighing your options or you are completely committed to moving forward with a divorce, the team at Holcomb Johnson PLLC is here to help.
Our experience extends to every area of family law in Ocean Springs. From divorce and spousal support to child custody and child support, we’re ready to answer your questions and help you move forward. Call us at 228-432-6652 to set up a consultation now.
You Have Questions—We Have Answers
We know that family law is a complex and deeply personal area of law, and our approach focuses on that. Our team is always ready for whatever questions you may have:
- Does my spouse’s cheating change how our divorce is handled?
- Will the court give my wife custody because she’s the mother?
- Will the court give my husband custody because he’s the breadwinner?
- Can I stop my spouse from harassing me during this process?
- What if my spouse refuses to sign the divorce papers?
From start to finish, we will be with you every step of the way. Our goal is to keep moving your case forward, so you get the closure you need, handle all routine and unexpected issues that arise, and represent you during intense negotiations.
Most importantly, we want to handle your case in a way that suits you. Not everyone wants an aggressive, no-holds-barred approach to their divorce. On the same note, not everyone has a co-parenting relationship to preserve, and a collaborative approach may not be the right choice for them. We don’t believe in a one-size-fits-all approach to divorce, and we are ready to listen to you and create a plan that meets your needs.
We’re Here to Help with Your Family Law Needs
At Holcomb Johnson PLLC, we have a broad body of experience that reaches every area of family law, including:
- Fault and no-fault divorce.
- Contested and uncontested divorce.
- Divorces involving abuse, abandonment, or substance abuse.
- Child custody agreement and modifications.
- Child support orders and adjustments.
- Spousal support.
- Prenuptial agreements.
- Postnuptial agreements.
- Establishment of paternity.
Contact us today to talk more about your family law needs.
Important Issues in Your Divorce
Throughout the divorce process, be ready to answer some tough questions and make some difficult decisions. But with Holcomb Johnson PLLC, you will have the guidance and advice you need along the way. Some of the most important issues that arise in divorce include:
- Division of debts and assets: This is incredibly important for your future. The assets and debts you leave the marriage with will determine your financial standing as a newly single person. You may be entitled to a share of the marital assets, as well as all of the separate assets you brought into the marriage. These negotiations often involve compromise, as both parties have assets they feel strongly about keeping. Think about your marital estate, from savings and checking accounts to retirement plans, real estate, and business interests.
- Child custody: Few topics cause as much arguing as child custody. Many parents panic at the thought of losing time with their beloved children, which causes them to lash out, fight the other parent, and actually make negotiations more difficult. There are many types of custody agreements for every type of family, and we’re ready to work with you to find an agreement that keeps your child’s best interests in mind.
- Child support: Child support is a necessary component of many divorces. This is especially true when there is a significant earning disparity between partners, as the child is entitled to a good standard of living at both parents’ homes. However, finding a reasonable and fair amount is challenging, as many factors contribute to child support calculations. Additionally, child support needs may change over time, warranting a modification.
- Spousal support: While spousal support is not awarded in all divorces, it is necessary in some cases. If there’s a big earning gap between you and your spouse, or one of you stopped working in order to be a homemaker, spousal support may be necessary to help the lower-earning spouse become self-sustaining.
Fault and No-Fault Divorce in Mississippi
Mississippi is unique in its approach to divorce. Although most states only also no-fault divorce filings, Mississippi is one of the few remaining states that allow spouses to file for a fault-based divorce. Grounds for divorce in Mississippi include:
- Spousal abuse
- Habitual drunkenness or drug usage
- The wife being pregnant by another man at the time of the marriage without the husband’s knowledge
Those who choose to pursue a fault divorce do have extra steps to take and a significant burden of proof to meet, so it’s worth discussing this option with your attorney if you think it may be appropriate for your situation.
Choose Holcomb Johnson PLLC for Your Ocean Springs, MS Divorce
Having the right divorce attorney by your side can make a huge difference as you navigate the challenges that come with a split. When you choose Holcomb Johnson PLLC for your divorce, you can feel confident that your concerns and needs will be put first at every step of the process.
Our team will always be available to answer your questions and alleviate your concerns. We know that this time often comes with unexpected disputes between you and your ex, changes in circumstances, and the need for reassurance and guidance. Whether you’re interested in a fault or no-fault divorce, whether you and your spouse have children or not, and whether or not your divorce is contentious, you can rely on our team to do what is best for you every time.
If you’re ready to set up a consultation and delve more into your legal options, let’s talk. Call us at 228-432-6652 or send us a message online to schedule a meeting now.